The world so big
because the mind so small
External Links and Literature
- EUROZINE: A Vienna-based non-profit transnational network of European cultural journals from nearly all European countries. Publishes articles from its partner journals on current social and political issues. German, english, diverse other europ. languages, depending on article. Since 1983.
- VOXEUROP: is a Paris-based European news and debate website, publishing in English, German, French, Spanish, Romanian, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Polish, Czech. From 2013 as successor of PRESSEUROP, Voxeurop is editorially and financially independent and is managed by a non-profit organisation.
- EUROPEONLINE-MAGAZINE by europe online publishing house GmbH in Weiden/Bavaria
- THE EUROPEAN a discussion/debate magazine, Berlin since 2009. (wiki)
STATE OF SOCIETY:
- DISMANTLING OF DEMOCRACY (USA): [to come]
- PESTER LLOYD, german-language online newspaper from Budapest (print version 1854-2009)
- Pester Lloyd, main topic: Ethnik minority ROMA in Hungary and eastern central Europe
- SOCIAL FRAMEWORK: Don Dunstan Foundation. Australian charitable Trust concerned with social justice issues. Founded 1999. Values: Cultural diversity - Freedom of individuals to control their lives - Just distribution of global wealth - Democratic, inclusive forms of governance - Human rights, incl. those of Australia’s indigenous citizens.
- Refugio Munich – Advisory and treatment center for refugees and torture victims. Psychotherapy, social counseling, medicinal diagnostic und assessment. Nonpartisan and non-denominational. Since 1994.
- borderline europe – Menschenrechte ohne Grenzen e.V. [.. - human rights independent of borders] Information source over the situation along the external EU borders, support of initiatives for humanitarian aid at the borders
- An exception to the rule: Italy: Refugees find a home in the calabrian village Riace
Original article deleted
- International Journal of Refugee Law. Source material in the field of refugee protection. Oxford University Press.
Forced Migration Online. Access to a diverse range of resources concerning the situation of forced migrants worldwide. Includes a searchable archive (Digital Library) of over 5,700 IJRL documents. Oxford University.
- HUMAN TRAFFICKING: Iana Matei - Angel of the prostitutes, Voxeurop [german, 02.2010]
SITUATION OF CHILDREN:
Angel of displaced persons, Readers Digest [german, 02.2010]
- SOS Children's Villages. Principles: A family for children in distress - Help to shape their own futures - Development of their communities. Worldwide (Umbrella Organizaion) - Worldwide (German site)
See german language version of this page
ISRAEL & PALESTINE - POLITICALLY INDEPENDENT SOURCES:
Identity movements*, loosely coupled, nationalist/white-european/ethno-centric, anti-islamic, anti-semitic: Began in France around 2000, spread since to other countries. Wiki FR, DE *) Collective name, in practice various names or labels.
- Haaretz ["The Land" (Israel)], Israeli daily, since 1919 (englisch since 1997, hebrew), wiki
- B'Tselem ["In the image of"] - The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, (english), since 1989, wiki
- +972 Magazine, news and commentary group blog, Israel+Palestine, (english, hebrew), since 2010, wiki
- Freetown Christiania [wiki] A social experiment in Copenhagen, existing since 1971; in danger of being ended because the danish govt wants the area for commercial investment.
Christiania in short [goeurope]
Christiania official homepage [danish/english]
- House of german history, with the living virtual
online museum 1871-today. [german]
Background in english
- USA: Museum of Bad Art
- NONCOMMERCIAL STREETPLAN PROJECTS:
Open Streetmap Free use, open collaboration. Since 2004
Wheelmap Tagging of addresses according to degree of accessibility for wheelchair users. Free use, open collaboration. Since 2010.
People's Republic of China (Wikipedia):
- TIBET: [to come]
- China Today Online version of the monthly periodical.
- China Labor Watch Since 2000. Evaluates labor conditions in manufacturing factories supplying transnational companies. Collaborates with management to support the implementation of responsible corporate standards.
- Nunavut [wiki] Large Canadian arctic territory with Inuit self-government, created 1999. Nunavut portal
- Alfred Grosser (wiki) [german] Franco-german author, sociologist and political scientist. Critical position on israeli politics wrt. palestinians, and on the Westbank settlement policy.
FAZ [german] Interview with A. Grosser 30.11.2009
- Noam Chomsky [wiki] Linguist; science, social and political dissident. Chomsky Homepage
See also NY Times, 17.05.2010: Israel Roiled After Chomsky Barred From West Bank.
- Michael Lüders, "Wer den Wind sät - Was westliche Politik im Orient anrichtet"
[If you sow wind - The havoc wreaked in the Orient by Western politics] (2015)
A concise and accurate account of the Middle East politics of the West conducted since WW II to this day as the biggest single cause of the current situation
- Nagib Machfus, "Midaq Alley" (1947), "Children of Gebelawi" (1959), "al-Karnak" (1974), "Respected Sir" (1975)
l [(نجيب محفوظ - "زقاق المدق" (١٩٤٧), "اولاد حاينا" (١٩٥٩), "الكر تك" (١٩٧٤), "حمنرة المحترم" (١٩٧٥]
- Jacques Tardi, "It Was the War of the Trenches" ["C'était la guerre des tranchées"]
- Stéphane Hessel, "Time for Outrage!" ["Indignez-vous!"] (essay, 2010)
- Wright C. Mills, "Power Elite" (1956)
- Franz Neumann, "Behemoth: The Structure and Function of National Socialism 1933-1944" (1942+1944)
- Heinrich Mann, "Der Untertan" (1914, publ. 1918)
English titles: "The loyal subject", "The man of straw", "The patrioteer", "The Kaiser's Lackay"
- Theodor Fontane, "Effi Briest" (1896)
Cf. "Madame Bovary", "Anna Karenina"
- Adam Smith, "The Theory of Moral Sentiments" (1759)