"We are becoming the servants in thought, as in action,
of the machine we have created to serve us"
John Kenneth Galbraith
External Links and Literature
ECONOMIC EXPLOITATION OF THE UNDERDEVELOPED COUNTRIES
- "Fair Trade" critically examined. Article from www.ruthlesscriticism.com
- IMF International Monetary Fund. Joseph Stiglitz, Jean Ziegler and others vehemently criticise the policy of the IMF as being detrimental to the living conditions of people in the 3rd world, helping to perpetuate their poverty and enslavement.
- CADTM. Committee for the Abolishment of Third World Debt.
An International coalition movement that calls for cancellation of third world debt.
- Marxists Internet Archive. An all-volunteer, non-profit public library. Covers 592 authors representing a complete spectrum of political, philosophical, and scientific thought, generally spanning the past 200 years. Creative Commons; since 1990.
- Systemic Disorder. A blog site for "essays on economic crisis, decoding dominant ideologies and creating a better world".
PROMOTION OF SOCIAL, ECONOMIC, AND ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
- The New Economics Foundation [UK] Founded in 1986 by the leaders of 'The Other Economic Summit'.
A NEF study on the value of work to society: Download pdf file (0.9MB)
- Friedrich August von Hayek Wiki
- Milton Friedman Wiki
- The Adam Smith Institute
A VIRILE NEOLIBERAL PROPAGANDA INSTRUMENT (GERMANY)
- INSM, the "Initiative New Social Market Economy" is a project massively financed by the Employers' Federation for the purpose of influencing public opinion. Uses PR- and marketing campaigns and enlists an army of 'experts' to spread neoliberal thought on current political issues.
Criticism of the INSM can be found e.g. on the site Nachdenkseiten.
An INSM-Watchblog abruptly (and mysteriously) ceased monitoring the activities of the INSM in April 2010.
ASSUMPTIONS OF ECONOMIC THEORY
- Homo economicus [wiki] Abstraction of a totally rational economic participant
- Joseph E. Stiglitz "Lessons lernt from the financial crisis - The secret of the invisible hand [SZ article 01.01.2010]
- J. K. Galbraith Quotes
- ILO International Labour Organization. Free access to data.
- Thilo Bode, "Die Freihandelslüge. Warum TTIP nur den Konzernen nützt - und uns allen schadet", (2015) [The free trade lie. Why TTIP* is of use only for multinational concerns - and harms us all]
*) Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, cf. TPP ~ Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Ha-Joon Chang, "23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism", (2012)
- David Harvey, "A brief history of Neoliberalism", (2005)
- Jean Ziegler, "The Empire of Shame" (2005) [Criticism of the exploitation of the Third World by the West]
- John Kenneth Galbraith, "The economics of innocent fraud", (2004) [Loss of reality in today's economy]
- Milton Friedman, "Capitalism and Freedom", (1962) [Argumentation for the liberal market economy]
- Karl Polanyi, "The Great Transformation", (1944) [Historical transition to the liberal market economy and its destructive effect on society]
- John Maynard Keynes, "The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money", (1936) [Role of the State in countering the negative effects of economic upturns and downturns]
- Max Weber, "Die protestantische Ethik", (1904) [Historical route towards the modern society]
- Karl Marx, "Das Kapital, Kritik der politischen Ökonomie, Erster Band", (1867) [Criticism of politics that secure the dependence of the working population on private wealth]
- Robert Owen, "A New View of Society: Or, Essays on the Formation of Human Character, . . .", (1813) [The first socialist places human beings before the capital-based market economy]
- Adam Smith, "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations", (1776) [Treatise establishing the field of classical national economics and economic liberalism]